Scholarships to help you attend university
Each year Youthrive Victoria offers a number of scholarships for Year 12 students who are planning to go to university.
The number and value of scholarships we offer each year is dependent on funding and donations.
University scholarships are funded by private donors, philanthropic trusts and sponsors and provide up to $10,000 per year for three years plus transition and career mentoring and leadership development opportunities.
Scholarships are awarded to Year 12 students who have leadership potential and a commitment to contributing to a strong, just and sustainable rural and regional Victoria.
Applications are open to Victorian Year 12 students who plan to attend university after they complete secondary school. Each rural/regional school can endorse a maximum of three applicants.
Selection criteria include demonstrated leadership capacity or potential, financial need, desire to return to rural Victoria after graduation, community service and academic ability.
From 2011-2018 university scholarships were known as Macpherson Smith Rural Foundation scholarships and included those provided from the original Helen Macpherson Smith Trust Scholarship Endowment of $750,000.
Youthrive Victoria Rural Scholarships are provided by private donors, trusts and sponsorships.
Key Dates for University Scholarships
Applications open: June 3, 2019 (Currently Open)
Applications close: August 9, 2019
Application assessment period: August/ September 2019
- Each application will be individually assessed. Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by the selection panel during September 2019.
- All applicants will be advised of the outcome of their applications in November, 2019.
Scholarships presented: From February 2020
Helen Macpherson Smith Rural Scholarship
- Provided by the Helen Macpherson Smith Trust Rural Scholarship Endowment.
- Awarded to Victorian rural or regional Year 12 students assessed as having leadership qualities and a commitment to contributing to a strong, just and sustainable rural and regional Victoria.
- Scholarship consists of $10,000 payment to recipient for three years plus mentoring and leadership development.
Chris and Marli Tilley Scholarship
- Established by the Tilley family in memory of their parents and proudly sponsored by Crowe Horwath Stawell and other local donors.
- This scholarship is open to Year 12 students from Stawell Secondary College who plan to attend university the following year and consists of three elements: financial support for three years; mentoring and leadership development opportunities.
- Financial support varies according to additional private donations but is usually $6000 per year for three years.
Dorothy Irene Ellis-Thomas Trust Scholarship
- These $2,000 scholarships are awarded to Ballarat secondary school leavers. Each school nominates one male and one female recipient. There is no application process.
- Recipients are offered mentoring and leadership opportunities.
- Dorothy Irene Ellis-Thomas Trust is an independent philanthropic trust of which Youthrive Victoria is a corporate trustee.